Several of the @seolibraries.org email accounts have been compromised in the past week and have been used to send SPAM.
As a result, our email hosting provider (1and1) has been restricting these compromised accounts from sending out email as some of you may have experienced.
This is most often due to weak or insecure passwords.
Hackers often will run automated software tools against online email accounts trying to crack(break) the passwords.
- A typical/insecure 8-character email password such as #1DonWin can be cracked in less than 12 days
- A complex 9-character password such as #1~DonWin can be cracked in 120 days
- A complex 13-character password such as #1~DonWinland will take 20 years to crack
Test different passwords at the link below to see how long it would take your online email password to be cracked:
SEO Password Policy Requirements and Recommendations
- Passwords should be changed every 60 to 90 days
- Passwords should be a minimum length of 12 characters
- Passwords should contain numbers, special characters, and upper and lower-case letters
If you suspect your email account has been compromised, change your password immediately.
If you cannot access your email account, contact SEO and we can reset your password for you.
Let us know if you have any questions on your email accounts.